Are You Facing Drug Charges? Consider These 7 Defense Options
Each and every criminal case is unique. This is because every defendant is unique and the specifics of each case are unique. This is why you may find it difficult to find a drug crimes defense attorney who will simply give you the “best” way to fight drug charges.
Instead, a qualified attorney should simply offer options. Until they have learned about your specific case and have an understanding of what you are facing, they should never give specific advice or offer guarantees about results. At The Mattern Law Firm, we are proud to offer a free case evaluation for every potential client. This gives you the opportunity to get specific help with your unique case instead of generic advice. Contact us at 310-342-8254 to get started.
Seven of the most common defense options against drug charges
While we cannot tell you what defense is best for your case, we can give you examples of some of the most common legal defenses against drug charges. They include:
- The defendant did not commit the crime. It is up to the prosecutor to prove that you did commit the crime and you are always legally innocent until you have been proven guilty.
- The drugs were not yours. This could be the case if someone left them in your home, or if someone was in your home that you did not even know. For example, you could have hired a plumber who was a convicted drug user and left their drugs behind.
- The police planted the drugs. This is more and more unlikely as body cams become more common.
- You were the victim of an illegal search and seizure.
- The police had no warrant to search or property for anything.
- The police were searching for something else and illegally found drugs. For example, if they had a warrant to search your home for stolen items but found drugs in your garage, then the evidence may not be admissible.
- You have an alibi that proves it was not you who committed the crime. This defense is most often used in cases of selling drugs or other drug crimes that involve a specific time at which they happened.
We can also negotiate the best possible plea deal
In some cases, it simply isn’t possible to fight the charges against you. There may be a mountain of evidence including several witnesses. Perhaps you even confessed before calling a criminal defense attorney. In these situations, there is still help for you – we can work aggressively to find the best possible plea deal that will work for you.
If you are ready to find out what the best defense options are for your unique situation then we are ready to take your call. Contact The Mattern Law Firm by calling us today at 310-342-8254.