Call Us   310-342-8254
Can You Be Denied the Right to a Concealed Weapons Permit Due to a Disorderly Conduct Conviction?


Can You Be Denied the Right to a Concealed Weapons Permit Due to a Disorderly Conduct Conviction?

June 26, 2019

Can You Be Denied the Right to a Concealed Weapons Permit Due to a Disorderly Conduct Conviction?

Not everyone in California has the same rights to own and carry a weapon. Those with a criminal past are often not allowed to hold a concealed weapons permit, or perhaps any weapon at all. Clients who want to carry a gun without worrying about committing a weapons crime often wonder what their options are if they have a criminal record.

Today we are going to look at a very specific charge – disorderly conduct – but the answer is really the same: The best way to find out what your options are is to contact a criminal defense attorney. There are not hard and fast rules, and a defense attorney may be able to help with expungement options that can allow you a legal way to conceal carry again. Read on to learn more about these charges and then contact The Mattern Law Firm at 310-342-8254 for a free legal case evaluation.

California is a “May Issue” State

Known as a “may issue” state, in California the local branch of your law enforcement office will review your application for a concealed carry permit. They can approve it or deny it after considering a number of issues. In many cases, law enforcement will only issue the license if they find you to be of good moral character, not prohibited by any government from possessing a firearm, you have good cause for obtaining the license, you have taken a gun safety course, and you meet residency requirements.

Some People Are Less Likely Than Others to Obtain an CCW

If you have been convicted of a misdemeanor, it may or may not prevent you from being granted a CCW – a lot depends on the specific charge. If it was a violent charge then it is likely you will not be granted the CCW. For example, if you were convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence, you should not expect to get a license to carry a firearm.

On the other hand, what about a charge like disorderly conduct that may or may not be considered violent? In that case, the issuing officers will carefully consider the application. It is within their discretion to decide if it should be approved. If they find that it was the only blemish on your record, then they may issue it. If they find that your disorderly conduct charge was just one issue in a series of alcohol-related issues, then they are likely going to deny your application.

Get the Facts from a Local Attorney

Of course, the best way to find out for sure what your options are is to contact a local attorney. At The Mattern Law Firm we can look at your case and take the necessary steps to help improve your chances of being approved for the license. Call us now at 310-342-8254 for a free case evaluation.

Comments are closed.

Get A Free Consultation
The Mattern Law Firm Located at
Westwood Gateway, 11111 Santa Monica Blvd, Ste. 1700, , Los Angeles, CA.
The Mattern Law Firm Logo Phone: 310-342-8254