Call Us   310-342-8254
Only Seven out of Every Ten People Arrested for Felonies in California Will See Convictions

Blog

Only Seven out of Every Ten People Arrested for Felonies in California Will See Convictions

August 7, 2019

Only Seven out of Every Ten People Arrested for Felonies in California Will See Convictions

It can feel that if you are arrested for a crime, you are as good as convicted. This is false. In fact, more than 30% of people who are arrested for a felony in California are not convicted. There are steps you can take to lower your chance of becoming one of the 70% who is convicted. For example, you can choose the best criminal defense attorney to argue your case. If you are ready for a free legal consultation, reach out to The Mattern Law Firm at 310-342-8254.

More Arrest Statistics to Be Aware Of

In the last year there are complete statistics for, there were nearly 250,000 adults arrested for felony charges in California. Out of them, about 165,000 were convicted. 3% were released by police officers. 16% were not prosecuted at all. 14% of the cases, which came out to about 33,000 people, had their cases dismissed or were found not guilty by a judge or jury.

These Numbers Have Gone Down

It is common for a person who learns about the reduction in convictions to be surprised. They often assume that if a person is arrested, they will be charged and then convicted of the crime, more likely than not. Not only is this not true, but in fact felony arrest have fallen by about 70,000 a year starting in 2014. Felony arrests are at their lowest numbers since 1985.

The reason for this reduction is clear: Proposition 47 changed many crimes that were formally considered felonies into misdemeanors. Theft crimes and drug possession crimes are the most notable crimes that saw reduced sentences in these cases.

How to Avoid a Conviction

There are many ways these people who are arrested for crimes avoid conviction. It is often the case that their savvy attorney is able to negotiate the charge to get it reduced to a felony. In some cases, diversion programs are used to prevent a person from spending any time in jail. In other cases, it may be that the person in question was entirely innocent and they won a not guilty verdict in trial.

Do You Want the Best Opportunity to Avoid Conviction of a Felony?

If you are facing felony charges and you want to be one of the percentage that sees no conviction, then your next step should be finding the best criminal defense attorney. The right attorney can help you fight your charges, can poke holes in the evidence the prosecution has, and can otherwise help you avoid conviction. Call The Mattern Law Firm now at 310-342-8254 to request a free legal consultation.

Comments are closed.


Get A Free Consultation
 
 
The Mattern Law Firm Located at
Westwood Gateway, 11111 Santa Monica Blvd, Ste. 1700, , Los Angeles, CA.
The Mattern Law Firm Logo Phone: 310-342-8254