Have you been accused of harming a senior citizen? Defend your good name with help from an elder abuse attorney in Los Angeles CA.
The state of California has very strong laws in place designed to protect the elderly against abuse, neglect, or fraud. Sadly, it is not at all uncommon for false or mistaken charges to be raised against elders’ family members or caregivers and this can cause considerable hardship and distress for the family.
The good news is:
You can hire a skilled elder abuse attorney in Los Angeles CA from The Mattern Law Firm to stand up for your rights. We have considerable expertise in investigating all kinds of elder abuse charges, including charges involving:
- Physical abuse
- Sexual assault
- Verbal abuse
- Inappropriate administration of drugs
- Financial crimes against elders
We know where to look for flaws in the prosecution’s arguments as well as what kinds of evidence are most helpful in defending against each specific type of charge. We can even bring in expert witnesses as needed to help establish that reasonable doubt that you committed the offense.
Top 3 Defense Strategies for Fighting an Elder Abuse Charge
The specific strategy we will employ in your case will obviously depend upon the facts of the matter. However, some of the most fruitful defense strategies for an elder abuse attorney in Los Angeles CA to pursue include:
- Unreliable witness: Sadly, elders who are mentally incapacitated—perhaps due to dementia—sometimes make mistaken allegations of abuse against nursing home caregivers or even against beloved family members. If this is the case, your elder abuse lawyer in Los Angeles CA can have an expert testify as to the mental state of the alleged victim. If there is no other compelling evidence to support the allegation, the case may even be dropped before trial.
- Accidental injury: When an elder has an injury such as a bruise or a fracture, allegations of abuse are sometimes made by worried friends or family members. By having a medical expert examine the elder’s medical records, your defense attorney can put everyone’s mind at ease by showing that the injury was more consistent with an accident such as a fall rather than deliberate physical abuse. Again, this could result in a dismissal of charges or even an acquittal.
- Lack of intent or negligence: If you are a caregiver, the prosecution must prove that you either willfully abused the elder in your care or else were so negligent in your duties that the elder suffered harm as a result. Your defense attorney may be able to help defeat the prosecution’s arguments by showing that you followed normal standards of care in your treatment of the elder and any errors you may have made were not criminally negligent.
Make Sure Your Elder Abuse Attorney in Los Angeles CA is a True Expert
Because elder abuse cases can be highly complex with lots of evidence to gather, review, and challenge, it is essential to have an experienced attorney working on your behalf. You can rely on The Mattern Law Firm to provide the aggressive and comprehensive defense strategy you need to secure the most favorable outcome possible in your case.
To learn how we might approach your case, call 310-342-8254 now and ask for a free case evaluation from an elder abuse attorney in Los Angeles CA.